Arc Flash Study
Preventing Downtime, Potential Employee Safety, and Unexpected Costs
Did you know that OSHA and it’s OSHA 1910.132 requires that employers identify and protect their workers from workplace hazards? An arc flash study or audit is one of the most important requirements to recognize, measure and mitigate risk to electrical workers and industrial employees. In the event of an electrical incident such as arc flash burns or electrical shock, serious injury and even fatalities can occur. In 2020, the potential costs for an employer who fails to take preventive risk mitigation steps are estimated to be in the millions of dollars.
Importantly, an arc flash study must be completed by an approved Arc Flash Audit electrician before a worker is exposed to an electrical hazard. An arc flash risk assessment should be reviewed every five years, or any time modifications are made to the facility that can effect the outcome of the study. Major or sometimes minor variations such as fuse type or breaker setting adjustments can have a huge impact on personal safety.
As part of a company’s safety protocols, an arc risk assessment provides insight into the steps an employer needs to take to protect workers. With the results of these risk assessment analyses, employers can mitigate ore reduce hazards to a manageable level. Providing labels to raise awareness, inform employees, and aid in selecting the proper PPE for the task. The studies usually take 4 to 6 weeks to complete, depending on the size of the facility. ESS protocol for arc flash risk assessment includes the following:
- Data Collection: Collect necessary data about the facility’s power distribution system, including transformers KVA and impedance, nameplate specifications, fuses, breakers, along with lengths and sizes of all cables.
- Engineering Analysis of the Data: Perform a short circuit analysis to determine the available fault current at each location.
- Protective Device Coordination: Determines which upstream overcurrent device will operate first based on fault currents and plotting the time current curves for the fuses or breakers found in the system.
- Arc Flash Calculations: Determine incident energy levels and flash protection boundaries and complete calculations of all relevant equipment based on IEEE.
- Arc Flash Study and Analysis Report: Once the calculations are completed a comprehensive report will be built based on the findings in your facility.
- Label Installation: Creation and installation of warning labels pinpointing incident energy and working distance, arc flash boundary, and nominal system voltage. Include Limited, Restricted approach boundaries, date, and recommended personal protection equipment (PPE) as well.
By individually analyzing these systems and labeling equipment to warn employees of the specific hazards found at that location, you can increase personnel and workplace safety.
As required by OSHA and the NFPA 70E, Electrical Safety Specialists (ESS) offers arc flash risk assessment for ensuring worker safety. The purpose of our visit is to help save lives and money by safe work practices and minimize the possibility of injuries and lost time accidents. Our engineering technicians are experienced and trained on the intricacies of the data collection process for an arc flash study. ESS provides the highest quality of service available.
For more information about an arc flash study or electrical safety training provided by Ozburn Electrical Contractors, Inc, call (770) 784-1618. To request a quote, click here.
At Ozburn Electric, when it comes to anything “electrical”, we like to be proactive. Being proactive in looking for problems before they happen is our ultimate goal with our exclusive preventative maintenance services. We realize that unscheduled break downs are not only frustrating, but tough on your bottom-line as well with lost labor, lost production, and expensive service calls. Our preventative maintenance allows you to minimize them from happening in the first place.
- Arc Flash Study or Audit
- IFR Heat Scan
- Label All Power Distribution
- Investigate Wire Size and Fuses
- Control Panel Inspection
- Create Single Line Diagrams
- Proper Install
- Buss Duct Cleaning
- Check Motor Loads & Overload Protection
- Power Distribution Inspection
- Create a Single Line Diagram
- Check Breaker Panels
- Code Compliance Survey
- Survey Lighting Panels
- Review Individual Circuits
- Inspect Arc Fault and GFI Breakers
- PLC & HMI Software Back Ups
- Megger Testing
- and Much More!
Give Ozburn Electric a call today at 770-784-1618. We would love to perform an Arc Flash Audit for your Manufacturing Facility. Ask us about how a site survey can help your facility and possibly save lives. If you are feeling overwhelmed, we also offer a facility preventative maintenance plan that is customized for you and your facility.
Our Electrical Technicians are:
- Fully screened, drug tested, and background checked for your peace of mind
- Neat, clean and uniformed for safety and security
- Friendly, helpful, and reliable. We don’t hire anyone we wouldn’t hire to work inside of our own homes.
- Knowledgeable, experienced and skilled
- Rigorously trained in customer service
- Top-notch troubleshooters who specialize in saving you time and money
- Fully outfitted with state-of-the-art diagnostic tools and a huge inventory of parts
- Fully licensed, bonded and insured